I’m stuck! I can’t go any further! We all run into brickwalls or roadblocks while doing our research! Banging your head against a brickwall can be frustrating – and painful!
There is no one way to overcome a brickwall. We suggest a systematic approach. Try using the following steps when you encounter a brickwall:
- Write down all that you know about the person and the problem – look at the family group record – make a timeline (maybe your genealogy software can help do this?). Make sure the problem is clearly defined.
- Try to look at the data differently – perhaps through following one of the siblings?,
- Study the area history – what was happening in the area at the time?
- Use the research wiki at FamilySearch.org – make sure you are accessing all the data resources available.
- Share your problem
- talk to someone – not because misery likes company but because a second set of eyes might see what we missed –
- Use Forums and message boards – such as Discussion Forums at FamilySearch.org https://familysearch.org/ (under Learn tab https://familysearch.org/learn/forums/en/index.php ) and Rootsweb – http://boards.rootsweb.com/
- If all else fails Park the problem for a while. Go and do something else. Come back in a few months. Then review all your notes.